“Founded in 1882, Cabot Corporation is a global performance materials company, headquartered in Boston, Massachusetts. Their primary products are rubber and specialty grade carbon blacks, inkjet colorants, fumed metal oxides, aerogel, tantalum and related products, and cesium formate drilling fluids, among others.“ -- from Jigsaw
In developing a new use for the company’s carbon black product, Cabot developed a process to manufacture inks for the new generation of inkjet printers. SPEC worked with Cabot on the original move from contract manufacturing and small-scale manual production to in-house commercial manufacturing. This involved a new facility, a process scale-up, and sophisticated new handling methods for raw materials and finished product.
SPEC provided a design/build package for this new manufacturing facility. The project came in on schedule, under budget ($8.3 million on a $9 million budget) and within performance specifications.
- Delta V system (1200 I/O), with bus technology
- Multi train & multi phase installations
- Extensive site rehabilitation for drainage
- Contract basis design/build - open book
- Contract value $9 million ( $700,00 under budget)
- Total building: 111,700 sq. ft.
- Area renovated: 87,400 sq. ft.
- Kick off: 2/15/02
- Demolition start: 5/6/02
- Construction start: 5/20/02
- Train #1 water batch: 11/4/02
- Train #2 qualification batch: 11/18/02